Saturday, March 15, 2008

Experimenting with mock meats and celebrating Pi Day

Wednesday night, there were drinks with the car boys. Before I went though, I needed something to eat. Earlier in the week, I had made baked seitan (from a recipe from one of the Vegan Freaks), that I slightly modified to be less salty (for some reason, I'm super sensitive to salt in seitan recipes). I took some seitan, spinach, Vegenaise, dijon mustard, avocado, and sourdough and grilled it. Holy crap, it was delicious. Delicious enough, in fact, that I made more sandwiches when we got home from drinks.

I ordered a bunch of mock meats from May Wah last weekend. They arrived on Wednesday. First on the menu, a "beef" stir-fry with some "beef chunks," green beans, orange bell peppers, mushrooms, and broccoli in a store bought General Tso's sauce. It was yummy. And the "meat" reheated well for lunch on Friday.

Friday was Pi Day (you know 3.14...), so I decided to bake an apple pie. I used the recipes from The Joy of Vegan Baking for the crust and the filling. It turned out pretty well. Though the crust wouldn't roll out very well, so I think it's a little too thick. There may be pictures, though I really ought to just quit saying that at some point. As a side note, I had no idea you had to let pies sit for 4 hours to cool before you could eat them. I started late last night, so I didn't get to eat the pie until right now. And now it's calling me. So hooray for Pi Day.

No comments: